McCalls 6278 Sewing Pattern // Exposed zipper // Closet Case Patterns
Sewing Projects

The Jetsons, in Silver & Neon // McCalls 6278 Sewing Pattern

My obsession with the exposed neon zipper continues. It’s like Fatal Attraction, except um, not at all (first of all, no bunnies were harmed in the production of this dress, and I think the zipper is just as into me as I’m into it).  She adds an unexpected pow-pow to your eyeballs, and I really love adding these quirky details to my garments. Makes it feel even more “me” and fairly screams “I WAS NOT PURCHASED IN A STORE.”

I fell in love with this pattern a few months ago. I really like mixing prints and colours in a dress, and the geometry of this one gives it a pretty space-age hourglass shape. The crazy silver snakeskin print definitely adds to the Jetsons vibe. I saw that fabric and immediately knew it was meant for this dress, but had a hell of a time finding a contrast solid I liked in the same weight. I settled on this bright red cotton, but realized that it was a little too stiff. It’s not super giving at the shoulders. And once again, my refusal to make a muslin or take the time to properly fit it bit me in the ass (am I the only one so anxious to move on to the next thing that I skip the whole “make it fit perfectly” step? *crickets*) After making a dozen or so dresses, I’ve realized that I almost always have to take the shoulders down. I must have a short chest or something, because this guy does not sit properly on the shoulders. Is there a “slope back” equivalent term for this fit issue? And then there’s the whole 12 on top, 14 on bottom pattern piece mixing I have yet to really master. I wore this dress to work the day before this shoot and the bum got a little saggy too. Cotton! You stretchy beast!

Adding insult to injury, the cheapo poly I used to line it totally split its seams after 8 hours sitting at my desk. I’m dealing with it for now but if I ever get around to fixing my complaints about this dress, I’ll replace it with silk or a soft voile.

As far as the pattern itself goes, it was a bit of a challenge for my still pretty novice skills. Those hairpin turns at the hips were a pain in the ass! I seam-ripped and resewed a number of times but there is still some weird puckering. Not completely sure where I stand on the points on the side either. The next time I make this I may try to square it off and see how it looks.

While you read this I will be basking in Cuban sunshine and hopefully drinking an indecent amount of rum with little paper umbrellas. Hopefully I will be able to come back with some photos of the caftan I just finished. Caftans! Cuba! Caliente!