One of my favourite posts to write every year is our holiday gift guide. I love treating myself to tools and books that make my sewing practice more enjoyable, and even better is sharing the things I think will make your creative life a little easier too. This year our holiday gift list includes a mix of high and low, and includes great stocking stuffers and perhaps that one special present that might induce full-blown happy sobbing (I’m looking at you Rowenta iron).
KITS FOR MAKERS
I am officially calling 2017 the Year of the Kit. As the sewing and making movement takes off, more and more small businesses are creating awesome kits that make it easy and fun to try a new skill, or get everything you need for that special project in one pretty package.
- Desmond Backpack hardware kit, Taylor Tailor
- Skiff Beanie knitting kit, Brooklyn Tweed
- Kelly Anorak hardware kit, our shop
- Leather sandal making kit, Rachel Sees Snails Shoes
- Lace bra making kit, Emerald Erin
- DIY macrame kit, Nova Mercury Etsy Shop
TOOLS FOR MAKERS
All of these items are either indispensable in our studio or high on our wish list this year.
- Stock up your thread rack with this Gutermann thread box.
- The best pin cushion of all time, the magical, magnetic Zirkel.
- A pretty, sharp as heck seam ripper.
- Get more life out of your rotary blades with this blade sharpener.
- Flower head pins are our new favourite – easy to see and they lay nice and flat along your seams.
- The ultimate iron, we want to get this Rowenta steam generator iron for the studio.
- You’ll never fear buttonholes again with this pretty buttonhole cutter.
BOOKS FOR MAKERS
- Macrame by Fanny Zedenius totally got me hooked on this new hobby.
- The Fashionpedia is a must-have reference for all you DIY designers out there.
- Get Slow Knitting for the thoughtful knitter in your life.
- I am lusting after the new book from Alabama Chanin, The Geometry of Hand-Sewing.
- The Japanese Knitting Stitch Bible looks super inspiring.
- The Get to Work Book is my favourite planner (I’m on my second one); use it to plan your sewing projects or just to organize your life.
- Sewing Happiness is my favourite sewing book in recent memory, beautifully written by Sanae Ishida and filled with simple, inspiring projects.
Hopefully Santa surprises you with something you’ll love and use all year long! What are your favourite sewing tools and books this year?